The Myanmar School of Politics (MySoP) is a joint programme of the Netherlands Institute for Multiparty Democracy (NIMD) and Political Parties of Finland for Democracy (Demo Finland). MySoP strengthens the democratic role of political parties and state/regional politicians by enhancing democratic skills, knowledge and practice, especially that of multiparty dialogue. Active in Myanmar since 2014, MySoP’s programme contains 3 components
- intensive capacity building courses
- recurring alumni activities
- multiparty dialogue platforms.
MySoP works in an impartial, multiparty setting with leadership politicians of all political parties present in Tanintharyi Region and/or Mon-, Kayin-, Kayah- and Shan State. The overall objective of MySoP is to contribute to Myanmar as a peaceful, pluralistic, inclusive multiparty democracy where the political rights of all the citizens are realised. MySoP focuses on strengthening the democratic role of politicians & political parties at the region/state level, and enhances the practice of multiparty dialogue.
The Head of Programmes is a strategic achiever with significant experience political party development and programme management with significant knowledge of Myanmar’s democratic transition.
S(h)e leads the conceptualization and planning of initiatives to strengthen and expand the work of the Myanmar School of Politics (MySoP). The Head of Programs also supervises the programme support team in programme implementation, providing leadership, mentorship and skills-building.
Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic and Technical Advice
- Though the development and maintenance of trusted relations with strategic partners of MySoP, provide ongoing technical advice on strategies for effective political party development and multiparty dialogue processes to conceptualize programmatic plans and activities for MySoP, NIMD and Demo Finland.
- As a member of the MySoP Senior Management Team, provide strategic advice in areas of political analysis, programmatic and strategic approaches, results measurement, funds mobilization, programme management, communications, organizational development and capacity building of MySoP staff.
- Participate in development of annual programme planning, monitoring and reporting process ensuring coordination among MySoP programming and the efficient deployment of human and financial resources.
- Represent the MySoP programme with donors to brief on activities and in relevant national and international organizations and to share information and to identify and cultivate partnership opportunities.
- Coordinate the production of regular political updates and research by programme a staff which provides strategic analysis to underpin programming decisions. Provide written and oral updates on activities.
- Oversee programme implementation through provision of guidance and mentorship to program staff in all MySoP programs in technical matters including activity and curriculum design; drafting terms of reference; correspondence; communications; event facilitation; and efficient use of financial and human resources;
- Provide oversight of and mentorship to programme support team members to ensure adherence to funder/donor regulations on program implementation, monitoring and reporting, and communications;
- Monitor and ensure adherence to programmatic and results reporting requirements through data collection and analysis.
- Implement capacity building program for staff in line with MySoP organizational development strategy. This includes facilitating external trainings as well as designing and undertaking skills-building of staff on relevant program management and political analysis skills.
- Collaborate on a resource mobilization strategy to expand the reach and impact of MySoP in Myanmar. Develop concept notes, statements of interest, proposals, and other technical documents.
Required Skills and Abilities
● Significant political experience and work with political parties in developing country contexts;
● Advanced knowledge and understanding of Myanmar democratic transition;
● Ability to maintain strict impartiality while working with all political parties;
● Superb networking and political judgement skills;
● Excellent oral and written communications skills in Myanmar and English;
● Ability to reprioritize and respond to an unpredictable operating environment while meeting deadlines;
● Excellent organizational skills;
● Superb intercultural and interpersonal skills
● Capacity to work both independently and to collaborate as a member of a team;
● Willingness to work long hours, including evenings and weekends if required.
● Ability and willingness to travel to remote locations that may be difficult to access.
● MySoP initiatives and programming are interlinked, therefore employees may be asked to contribute to the delivery of program activities in all components.
The Head of Programmes will uphold the MySoP Guiding Principles in carrying out their duties.
Supervised by Country Representative with input from the Programme Manager (NIMD)
Provides supervision to programme support team and mentorship and direction to all program staff.
Duration of employment: 1 year contract with the high possibility of extension.
Deadline for applications: as soon as possible
Interested applicants: send a CV and 1-page motivation letter to email@example.com
Only selected applicants will be contacted.