We are at a critical juncture for the future of the European Union and democracy globally. The Russian war of aggression shows that authoritarian rule is a global security problem for states, businesses and people everywhere. Democracy support needs to be a European strategic priority.
NIMD and 16 other democracy and human rights organizations – working with the European Partnership for Democracy – have put together 10 recommendations for a European response to this attack on Ukraine and democracy.
We call on EU institutions and European governments to respond to the crisis with a democracy-focused approach in the short term while developing a far more strategic approach to supporting democracy globally in the long term.
To this end, we have two sets of actionable recommendations:
Respond to the crisis with a democracy-focused approach
- Bolster Ukraine’s democratic institutions
- Invest in Ukrainian civil society
- Support independent media organisations and journalists in Ukraine
- Support drivers of change in Russia and Belarus
- Give a meaningful EU membership perspective to Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova without taking shortcuts on democracy
Ensure democracy is a cornerstone of geopolitical strategy
- Make democracy a top strategic priority in foreign policy
- Strengthen democracy at home
- Support the work and the integrity of independent journalists and media organisations to counter disinformation
- Combat corruption and kleptocracy
- Use Team Europe Democracy to improve coordination